The Top Ten Tokens Of Science Fiction (LISTS)
The Top Ten Tokens Of Science Fiction? I know, I’ve had this idea for a list for quite a while but I wasn’t sure how well it would go over so I held off on finishing it up until now. Since we are the site that covers geek culture by people of color I knew that I had to salute the men and women who have done so much to advance our cause over the years. I’m lying, I really figured the Top Ten Tokens would be a great list that would rack up the hits and comments. But you want to know what’s really disturbing? The fact that when I was coming up with this list I realized how many films feature no black people at all. So with that let’s get right to the Top Ten Tokens in science fiction. There will be some fantasy and comic book movies of course so don’t hit me in the comments section with that junk, save the comments for movies that I missed. I’m sure you fantastic readers can come up with a few at the least.
10. Janek – Prometheus Janek is one interesting character, as he seems to have motivations out of a Choose Your Own Adventure book. One minute he’s chuckling while he deceives his crew and leaves them stranded to be infected by all kinds of alien horrors. After this goes exactly as you would expect Janus propositions Charlize Theron without any forethought, and while he can’t be blamed for the move it does walk the fine line of the oversexed Black man. Finally Janek goes out in a literal blaze of glory taking his Asian shipmate along with him in a last ditch effort to stop the Albino Snowman from killing all of the humans on Earth. Good looking broham.
9. Darwin – X-Men: First Class – Darwin has a rough time in First Class, as he is killed immediately after he has a chance to show his off power. What’s his power you ask? Just the ability to adapt to whatever he needs to survive. So why is he so easily dispatched? My friends if I had the answer to that I’d be sniffing coke in Hollywood instead of writing this list.
8. War Machine – Iron Man One Two and Three – I think the ultimate insult to Terrence Howard’s pride had to be that they went even blacker with Don Cheadle. A better actor as well? That’s up for you to decide people. Whats going on with you Iron Man man.
7. Nick Fury – The Avengers – Yes Sam kicks all kinds of ass in The Avengers but in the end it seems he’s as conniving as Loki. He tells the Avengers that Agent Coulson is dead and yet in this Fall’s Agents of SHIELD Coulson is alive and well. At least you didn’t ask for a grape flavored lightsaber this time Sam.
6. Jar Jar Binks – The Phantom Menace – Come on son. You knew as soon as you saw this joint that Jar Jar was going to make this list. I can still remember sitting down to watch Phantom Menace, all full of awe at the little touches that Lucas was sprinkling in, and then came the sledgehammer that was Jar Jar. Racist? Perhaps. Ignorant? Debatable. The worst thing to ever to happen to the Star Wars universe? Indubitably. Look I can go on and on bout this monstrosity but its been said by far funnier people than me. Why Mr. Lucas? Why???